NAMI Southwest Louisiana presents: “Family to Family Education Course”When: Beginning Monday, February 10 (12 Monday nights) Time: 6:00 pm – 8:30 pm Where: NAMI SWLA Office, 715 Ryan St. Ste. 203 Lake Charles, LA 70601
This course is for families and friends of adults with serious mental illness.
There is no cost for this class. The course will cover 12 topics in 12 weeks:
- Learning about our feelings, learning about facts.
- Schizophrenia, major depression and mania: diagnosis and dealing with critical periods.
- Subtypes of depression and bipolar, panic disorder and OCD; diagnosis and causes; sharing our stories.
- The biology of the brain and new research.
- Problem solving workshop.
- Medication review.
- Empathy workshop-what it’s like to have a brain disorder.
- Communication skills workshop.
- Self-care and relative groups.
The curriculum has been written by an experienced family member mental health professional and the course will be taught by NAMI family member volunteers who have taken intensive training as course instructors.
For more information or to register call the NAMI-Southwest @ 337-433-0219
NAMI Southwest Louisiana is Proud to be a United Way Agency